It hasn’t been very cold here in Houston the last few weeks, but it has been rainy and gray…so I’m still in the mood for delicious recipes that are wholesome and comforting.
After getting Cauliflower and Broccoli in my produce co-op basket last Saturday, I set out to find an easy soup recipe that would include both. Alas, the interwebz let me down a little and I couldn’t find a recipe I was totally in love with…so like always I sort of mixed and matched elements from several recipes to create the one you’ll find below.
This soup is not the most calorie friendly being that you will use heavy cream to thicken it up, but it tastes absolutely divine because of it…so a bowl every now and again won’t hurt so bad…right? 😉
Easy Crock Pot Creamy Cauliflower, Broccoli, & Potato Soup
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 3 – 4 hours on High. 6 – 8 hours on low.
You will need:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium potatoes, cubed
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups raw broccoli, chopped
2 cups raw cauliflower, chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese, for topping
shredded cheddar, for topping
1. In a large pot, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Add potatoes and continue cooking over medium heat for another 3 minutes.
3. Transfer the potato, garlic, and onion mixture to your crock pot.
4. Add cauliflower, broccoli, seasoning, stock, and cream to your crock pot. Stir well.
5. Cover and cook for 3 – 4 hours on high setting or 6 – 8 hours on low setting. As crock pot settings may vary, check on your meal often as it cooks by looking through the lid of your pot. Lifting the lid should be done only when necessary, since it can increase your cooking time by 20 minutes each time you lift it.
Serve topped with parmesan and shredded cheese.
Serves 4 – 6