Thank you to TexaSweet for sending me a care package with Rio Star Grapefruit.
The Holidays are in full swing this month and that means tons of parties and gatherings with family and friends. It’s also the beginning of Grapefruit season here in Texas, which is perfect since there are so many delicious party recipe possibilities to make with TexaSweet Rio Star Grapefruit.
Texas Red Grapefruit are sweet, juicy and tree-ripened, literally stored on the tree to peak of perfection. The Rio Star category combines the two reddest varieties – Rio Red and Star Ruby grapefruit. It has an overall blush on the exterior peel with a deep red interior color which is 7 to 10 times redder than the Ruby Red.
TexaSweet recently sent me a care package full of goodies and gorgeous Rio Star Grapefruit.
Though I have tried grapefruit off and on in my lifetime, I’ll admit that they have never really been my favorite citrus fruit. Mainly because all the ones I have tried weren’t that great; often quite bitter, and with minimal sweetness. You can imagine my delight upon cutting open my Rio Star Grapefruit and smelling it’s sweetness before I even took my first bite.
I was also surprised to learn of all the awesome recipes that include Rio Star Grapefruits. Below I share a couple of recipes I love and that are perfect for holiday parties. Enjoy!
Sparkling Citrus Holiday Punch
3 ½ cups Texas Rio Star Grapefruit juice (about 4 grapefruit), chilled
1 cup pomegranate juice, chilled
1 liter ginger ale, chilled
1 Texas Orange, thinly sliced
1. Stir together grapefruit juice and pomegranate juice in a large pitcher.
2. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
3. Stir ginger ale and orange slices into the grapefruit-pomegranate mixture, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Rio Star Upside-Down Cake
1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 4 tablespoons butter in a cast-iron skillet or medium baking pan. Place the pan in the oven just long enough to melt butter. Remove pan from oven; scatter ½ cup brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
2. Arrange grapefruit sections to cover bottom of pan.
3. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and allspice.
4. In a separate bowl, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add granulated sugar and remaining ¼ cup brown sugar; beat until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
5. Alternately add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
6. Pour batter over grapefruit sections in pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and then turn cake out onto a serving plate.
7. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
I hope these yummy Rio Star Grapefruit recipes add a bit of pizazz to your holiday this year!
For more recipes visit: http://www.texasweet.com/category/recipes/
Don’t forget, fruit also makes a great gift!
For more information on how to order Rio Star Grapefruit and other varieties from TexaSweet visit: http://www.texasweet.com/gift-fruit/
You can also keep up with them by following along on Facebook.
Disclosure: I received TexaSweet Rio Star Grapefruit and other goodies for the purpose of this post. These are my own, honest opinions. I only share products and services with my readers that I feel are trustworthy and that I can stand behind with pride.