When I was in the grocery store last week I was delighted to see that bell peppers were on special at an amazing price. I quickly snatched up several and brought them home with the intention of stuffing them.
Until last week I had never made stuffed bell peppers and I really just sort of threw this recipe together on the fly. I was surprised at how easy it was to make these peppers with ingredients that I already had on hand.
These stuffed bell peppers are a delicious and hearty entree that is sure to please your family.
Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
You will need:
1 lb. Ground Chicken (also great with ground beef or vegan ground beef substitute)
6 bell peppers, washed, stems and membranes removed (5 to stuff, 1 diced)
1 small red onion, diced
1 T butter
1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning (or get the recipe to make your own, HERE)
1/2 can of black beans, drained, rinsed
1/2 can of whole kernel sweet corn, drained
2 – 3 limes, quartered
5 deli slices of colby jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Add butter to a skillet and allow to melt slightly before adding red onion. Allow onion to cook about 3 minutes over medium heat. Add diced bell pepper to the skillet and allow both veggies to cook about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook ground chicken over medium/high heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F or higher and begins to firm up into “crumbles” in the skillet. Drain off any excess fat. Adjust heat to low/medium and add taco seasoning and water (as indicated on taco seasoning packet) to skillet. Mix well. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add black beans, corn, and onion & peppers to the skillet and stir to combine all ingredients. Simmer over low heat for 3 minutes or so.
5. Using a spoon, stuff each pepper with the meat filling. Next, squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice over the top of each stuffed pepper before placing a slice of colby jack cheese over the top of each one.
6. Place all stuffed peppers in a 9×13 baking dish. Bake uncovered at 300 degrees F for about 35 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
Delicious when served with fresh avocado slices, sour cream, and lime wedges (squeeze over pepper just before eating).
Yield: 5 servings